twenty-one.8

Alexander's 2nd Birthday has come...and gone!
That means he has been with us for 24 months, and I have written a whopping 8 blog posts.  I could make a truckload of excuses.  Most of them would point to B-U-S-Y!  Our whole family is busy!  Lots of activities to track and participate in.  Lots of laughs to have and love to give!

This school year, we welcomed a German host student, Nikolas into our home.  We opened a door, and in turn, our hearts have been opened too.  He is a great fit for us.  I secretly watch him build a very special connection with Alex.  He nonchalantly is often doing therapy with Alex.  And, in that manner, Alex is quite fond of therapy.  Also this school year, Grant started Kindergarten.  It has been an adjustment for him, and I have finally in his life seen a few days where he is totally worn out.  This fall, Nora and Grant both played soccer.  It wasn't really intended for Nora to play, but she went along with it and ended up enjoying it.  She was actually quite good, and her team made it a fun season!  With another school year underway, I am reminded that very shortly Alex will be aging out of Early Intervention.  That was my last blog, I think...educating you all on Early Intervention and the reason aging a child out on his/her third birthday isn't always a great option.  I met with our State Representative to discuss changing the law.  He seemed excited and like he was in it to help.  Then, he announced his candidacy for Senate, and the crickets have chirped.  I have made contact with his office a couple of times only to be told they will work on it in 2020.  I will be on the phone January 2, because that will only leave us 10 months to get this figured out.  I feel like I am giving up, but I do not know what to do.  I reached out to a Representative in another territory who totally heard what I was saying, but said I needed my local Representative to help me.  I don't get it.  But, I guess it isn't for me to get.

The whole situation reminds me of a book we are currently reading in a book club at work called "Grit".  The book talks about passion and abilities and how when the two collide dynamic things happen.  Often times when reading the book, it makes me think about Alex and how much grit he has shown at such a young age.  He never gives up.  He always works hard.  He always smiles about the work and when he fails, he tries again.  In my opinion, he is the true definition of grit.  This past weekend my sister and I drove my Grandma to Florida so she could begin soaking up the sunshine.  During my time as the driver, and as the passenger, I saw a sign similar to this one many times:


A quick trip to Florida leaves you a lot of time to think.  This sign kept popping up and reminded me of when it was appropriate to call a person with special needs "slow".  I thought about how if Alex had been born 30 years ago, he may have been told to move over because he was "slow".  He may not have been encouraged by his therapists, siblings, childcare providers, neighbors, grandparents, aunts, and uncles to perform where his "typical" peers do developmentally.  He may have been allowed to hang out in the right lane, therefore not keeping up.  He may have continued to fall farther behind because he wasn't encouraged to keep up with the traffic in the left lane.  Instead, Alex was born in 2017.  My facebook memories at this time of year are a constant reminder that even from the very beginning, he was determined to do his best.  He also had some of the best advocates fighting for him and pushing him to be his very best.  None of these people have ever allowed him to hang out in the right lane and get passed.  All of Alex's cheerleaders expect him to keep up in the left lane.  And, after all, isn't that what we should want for ALL kids....special needs or not?  I know that's what I want.  And, I know I will continue to show grit when it comes to advocating for some of my favorite people.

In the meantime, I will push my little man in the left lane, stand in astonishment at his successes and GRIT, and I will try to love just like Alex does.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty-one.9

twenty-one.3

twenty-one.4