twenty-one.4

It has been a long while since updating the blog.  Lots has been going on around here--lots and lots of smiles from the main-man himself.  He continues to amaze us daily with his easy-going nature and un-explainable happiness.  He can turn any day into a good one with the way his personality shines like the sun!  He certainly isn't a demanding child and will show us as much patience as any child you have met.

At a young age, he would flirt with girls (of all ages) in church by blowing raspberries at them.  Once they made eye contact with him, he would show them his gorgeous smile.  Recently, however, he has been winning them over with his new "dancing head" move.  When you see it, you can't help but smile which is then quickly followed by one of his smiles! 

Developmentally, he is doing well.  He meets his social development milestones with little to no problems.  With his gross motor development, he has begun to fall considerably behind (which is to be expected with a down syndrome diagnosis).  He sits in one spot very well.  But, moving to that spot continues to be difficult for him.  I am really not complaining--there are 2 other kids here to already chase after!! :)  But, we do know it is necessary for him to learn to crawl so he can gain even more independence.  (The dancing head might not work to get picked up forever!)  In order to teach this and develop his muscles, our physical therapist leaves exercises with us.  He is learning how to lean over one leg so to move into crawling position.  We also put him on all 4's (spotted)--in the crawling position and encourage him to hold it for awhile.  And, as I just typed all of that, guess who just moved himself into crawling position??  He has a leg stuck under him, but he is reaching and determined to get it!  Looks like we will be on the move before too long and dad better get the baby gate up!  We honestly could have given this boy the middle name "determination" because he teaches me the true meaning of that word daily.

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  On September 30, I thought I would post a fact on fb every day and a blog post each week.  After the first week and none of that done, I thought maybe I could get one blog post done at the end of the month!  So, here it is!  We just celebrated Nora turning 8, and although it is always fun to celebrate these kiddos, it's also a little sad.  They are each growing up and growing into their unique personalities.  I love to watch this growth from birthday to birthday.  I love to hear how they grow by the things they like and what they want to be when they grow up.  It's quite amazing how Alex's birth has changed the big kids' thinking when it comes to their future careers.  While Grant still wants to be a farmer, he insists on taking care of his sister's horses and having living quarters at the farm for Alex who will work with him.  Nora continues to say she wants to be a flight nurse inspired by our favorite one, Nikki!  Her 8th birthday party was helicopter themed.  I say it nearly daily, but Alex is changing lives.  In ways no one could imagine or dream.  But, it is a constant reminder of how awesome he is! 

I'm not going to educate you on what Down Syndrome is here--I think you all have a pretty good understanding from my past facebook posts and blog posts.  But, if you ever have a question, I encourage you to ask me.  I would much rather educate you then you constantly wonder.  No question is ever off limits.  I will always give you an answer, and although it may be raw, it will be from the heart.  My friend Brooke recently started subbing in schools.  She had realized people with down syndrome were functioning at all different levels and asked me if it is a spectrum disorder.  Although there isn't any education saying it is, I often wonder that myself.  So, I thought that was very observant and a great question.  I honestly think the kids who are involved in early intervention from an early age and who don't have any medical issues get a jump start and might show more progress later in their academic career.  And, so that leaves me very thankful for the therapists in our lives and the fact that our little boy is turning 1 in less than two weeks and has never been to the doctor for a sickness.  This means he has been able to focus 100% on the exercises and therapies anyone places in front of him.  We are blessed beyond measure! 

And, it's true...dinosaurs are scary.  Down Syndrome isn't. 


Comments

  1. I enjoy reading your blog so much....We have a two yr. old great grand baby that doesn't talk much yet and I have mentioned that I wish they wld look for some help....early intervention! Alex is just precious......I would love to snuggle him! Sandra Griffin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra,
      Keep encouraging the early intervention. Language development is so important as groundwork for many other things! I can't wait for you to meet Alex!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

twenty-one.13

twenty-one.3

twenty-one.11