twenty-one.6

Disclaimer:  This post has been on my heart for a long while.  I've feared putting these words into writing because I am afraid they will offend someone.  Please know this isn't to make anyone feel bad.  It's just my way of spreading a little bit of education coming directly from my heart.  Read ... and share if you want.  And, if you take offense, please know none was intended.  Peace and Love!

Here goes...

Inclusion.  
That's a buzz word isn't it?  What does it mean?  I went to Webster (because what else do you do when you want to know the meaning of a word).  There were 4 meanings.  It wasn't until the 4th one I found what I was looking for, "the act or practice of including students with disabilities in regular school classes."  But, perhaps the simplicity of the first one is what I love, "the act of including the state of being included."

I feel very fortunate to have been in the human services field, specifically assisting people with different abilities prior to becoming a momma to someone with his own diagnosis.  I thought I knew what "inclusion" was.  I tried hard to be inclusive, but really what I was doing was bringing attention to the fact that some of the people I loved the most had a disability.  Example:  I created a "Joy Class" at church for people with special needs, and allowed people in the church to encourage the Joy Class to all sit in assigned pews instead of where the individuals wanted to sit!  

It wasn't until Alex came along, and I watched how my children included Alex in their daily routines and lives that I truly discovered what inclusion was.  

Gosh, can you imagine how much love you feel when you are included with your peers, versus being put in your own "class"?  

In my position at (what was called) ARC Community Support Systems for awhile I assisted families in advocating for their children.  I LOVED this part of my job.  I advocated for inclusion.  But, I really didn't even understand what those parents were wanting (or needing), but even more, I didn't have any idea how important inclusion was!  

So, what am I saying?  How can you be inclusive?

It truly takes a change in our thinking.  Instead of creating a special t-ball league for people with different abilities, let's include them in the already existing t-ball league.  What if we did this?  Would there be a team who might not win every game because they have a kiddo who isn't as physically able as some others?  Perhaps.  But, the kids will all take away some important lessons.  These lessons will carry with them forever.  FOREVER.  

As adults, let's include these people in our work environments.  Should we send them to a "workshop" and ask them to do menial tasks for sub-minimum wages because they have a diagnosis?  NO!  Should we include them in our workplaces and find meaningful work?  YES!  And, you know what, my guess is the employee morale will boost.  The employees will all form a stronger bond and will begin to display an even greater sense of teamwork.  

Alex is special.  He's special because he loves without discriminating.  He's special because he has an extra chromosome many of us don't have.  But, he isn't incapable.  Does he do things differently than most 13 month olds?  SURE!  Do the big kids at our house treat him any differently than they would any other 13 month old?  NO!  Perhaps when approaching what inclusion should look like, we should attempt to be more child-like. 

Webster simply says it best.  Inclusion is the act of including.  How can you include someone with different abilities today?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Twenty-one.9

twenty-one.3

twenty-one.1